Dogs Climbing & Jumping
From scaling fences to jumping gates, dogs can be quite the escape artists.
Why do dogs jump or climb fences?
There is often a reason that these behaviour start, the most common being:
- Attention seeking
- Social Isolation
- Separation Anxiety
- Fear of something
- Lack of exercise
How to stop dogs jumping or climbing
- Keep your dog active and occupied (for ideas, see “Ideas to keep your pets occupied”)
- Install an Electronic Dog Fence. Electronic fences are the most popular and reliable solution to stop escaping dogs. There are two types of Electronic Dog Fences available:
- Wireless or Radio Collar Dog Fence – This containment system uses a wire and a special electronic collar to contain your dog. When your dog approaches the wire the collar will audibly warn the dog to back off. If the dog ignores the warning then a static correction is given.
- Electronic Dog Fence – This system uses a wire that is either attached to your existing fence or placed in front of it. When touched this wire gives off a static like shock that will make the dog quickly back off.
- Extend your fence height. Although this may initially solve the problem, it does not address your dog’s motivation for escaping. The extension is best to be tilted inwards at a 45 degree angle and remove any objects near the fence.